Hello Potential Mentees,
The MIDAS Student Network has created a Mentorship program to connect undergraduate and master’s students with a current, senior level graduate student who has relatable experiences in infectious disease modeling. The purpose of this mentorship program is to build a conduit for undergraduate students to become aware of and potentially become engaged in infectious disease modeling during their academic and post-graduation careers. This will occur through sharing of knowledge and experiences between a doctoral student or postdoctoral mentor with a background in infectious disease modeling and an undergraduate or master’s student interested in learning more about the field. There are many ways in which individuals make academic transitions into infectious disease modeling, thus a constructive mentorship relationship can take many forms.
We are excited to announce that the MIDAS Mentorship program will pilot this upcoming academic year (October 2021 – May 2022)
If you are interested in becoming a mentee, keep reading to learn more!
The mission of the MIDAS Mentorship Program is to promote student interest in infectious disease modeling by facilitating mentoring relationships and providing guidance to mentees.
Our goals are to help undergraduates gain insight into the broad field of infectious disease modeling, including how to become more involved in infectious disease modeling, educational trajectories, and career prospects. And to build a network of infectious disease modelers from various and diverse backgrounds or expertise.
Benefits of a Mentor Program can be, but are not limited to, the following for mentees:
• Provide additional opportunities to connect and network
• Learn the different pathways to infectious disease modeling
• Support long-term success
• Develop a network of peer support
• Intentionally cultivate a welcoming environment
• Graduate school and or career advice
• Boost communication skills
• Strengthen the support, advice and a sense of value that a student may or may not get from faculty or staff
• Transform the student experience
• Build professional and leadership qualities
• Schedule meet ups with mentors (Virtually)
• Discuss what you want out of the mentor-mentee relationship
APPLICATION INFORMATION: Complete mentee application via the Google Form (link here)
Please complete and submit your application by October 15th at 5pm.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the MIDAS Student Council. Information about the mentors and the program can be found on the MIDAS Student webpage.