Deadline 9/16/20: U.S. Department of State Summer 2021 Student Internship Program – Now Accepting Applications!
The following announcement regarding U.S. Department of State internships for Summer 2021 is being shared with all UCLA Departmental Advisors.
Please feel free to edit/share this message with UCLA undergraduates and graduate students from all majors.
Applications for Summer 2021 Internship Programs with the U.S. Department State are now open! Please note that the deadline to apply is September 16, 2020, at 8:59PM PDT (11:59PM EDT).
Internships based in the USA are hosted at State Department headquarters in Washington, DC, and a few other U.S. cities (including LA). International internships take place at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad. Candidates will be asked to express their location and bureau preference(s) in their application. Some interns may be invited to work remotely based on future public health conditions or other local factors. Note that U.S. Citizenship is required for all Department of State internships and jobs.
The Department of State application opening announcement of August 27, 2020 follows this message. Here are a few more resources that will help Bruins navigate the application process while considering a wider range of foreign service opportunities. Note that foreign service internships, fellowships, and jobs for 2021 also have September, 2020 deadlines.
- Advice: 6 Steps to Becoming a Student Intern with the U.S. Department of State (FAQ)
- Advice: Which State Department Office Is Right for You?
- Advice: Pointers on Landing a Federal Internship from the American Foreign Service Association
- Opportunities: Department of State Job Openings (most deadlines for 2021 assignments also occur during September 2020)
- Opportunities: Additional Department of State Fellowships, Internships, and Recent Graduate Programs
- Opportunities: Foreign Service Related Assignments for Students (includes some open to International students)
To access UCLA Career Center resources, workshops, and support services, please visit: career.ucla.edu. In addition, all UCLA undergrads who are hired for State Department internships in Washington, DC, are encouraged to consider joining the Career Center’s UCLA@UCDC Summer in Washington program. UCLA@UCDC summer program applications will open in October 2020. Please feel free to contact Chris Howell at firstname.lastname@example.org with any UCDC summer program questions.
We hope that this information is helpful to you. Best wishes to all Bruins who apply!