ASL SUMMER INTENSIVE SCHOLARSHIP 2022
The ASL Summer Intensive Scholarship was established to give UCLA students who are driven and passionate about learning American Sign Language the opportunity to take the ASL Summer Intensive course without financial burden. This scholarship will cover the full cost of the course. It is funded by a crowdfunding campaign started by UCLA students who are passionate about bringing greater access to—and knowledge of—ASL and Deaf culture to the UCLA community.
Eligible students interested in applying must meet the following criteria:
- Be a UCLA undergraduate student enrolled in ASL 8 in Summer Sessions 2022
- Have a 3.0 GPA or above
- Demonstrate financial need based on FAFSA and UCLA Financial Aid Office
Student must complete the full 8-week course to remain eligible. Scholarship will be rescinded if recipient drops the course.
Applicants should submit a written application in PDF format to the Linguistics UG SAO Leigh Bagood at firstname.lastname@example.org which includes the following:
- Full Name, UCLA 9-digit UID#, Major, and ASL 8 Section#
- 1-page essay (approx. 500 words) that answers the following prompt:
- Why are you taking ASL and how do you intend to utilize ASL beyond the course (in your personal life, in your community, etc.)?
- Attached documentation of financial need
Applications are due on Friday, June 10, 2022.
If you have any questions, please contact the Linguistics UG SAO Leigh Bagood at email@example.com.