Jumpstart is currently hiring for our 2021-2022 UCLA Corps, and we’d like to share our hiring process with you!
Jumpstart is a national non-profit organization that recruits and trains caring college students to work with preschool children in underserved communities. During a typical year, Jumpstart members serve 12-14 hours a week in local early childhood centers and implement the Jumpstart curriculum with their team of 5-7 corps members.
If you are excited to work with your fellow Bruins in creating innovative and fun ways to inspire learning in the classroom, Jumpstart is the place for you! But don’t just take our word for it—you can learn a little bit more about our program from two of our members here and here!
Jumpstart is largely funded through AmeriCorps which, if you qualify, provides you with the Segal Education Award– currently $1,311- upon successful completion of 300 hours. We are also a work-study program on campus, allowing eligible students to be paid bi-weekly for their Jumpstart service. You do not need to be eligible for work-study in order to join Jumpstart, you can also join as an unpaid AmeriCorps volunteer.
Applications are now open and can be found at www.jstart.org/apply.
Applications will be accepted until October 31st, or until all positions are filled.
Below you will find a tentative breakdown of the required minimum 12 hours/week. All hours, except session time, can be flexible according to your class schedule.
- 4hrs: Session – Implement core components of Jumpstart curriculum as a team, twice a week during a 2 hour time block. You are committed to this two hour time block during the entirety of the school year.
- 2-4hrs: Team Planning Meetings – You will meet with your team a minimum of twice a week for 1-2hrs each to prepare for session implementation.
- 4-6hrs: Individual planning – You will use this time to prepare your materials for session and at-home family activities.
- Participate in intensive pre-service and ongoing training as needed each quarter.
Things to note:
- Recruitment, onboarding, and training will occur virtually with the possibility of in-person sessions
- There is a possibility we may begin in-person service in Winter-Spring quarter, dependent on CDC guidance regarding COVID-19
All Jumpstart Corp Members must be available for one of the session times below. Each Corp Member will be required to commit to this two hour time block during the entirety of the school year.
- Tuesday & Thursday 9:00-11:00am or 9:30-11:30am
- Wednesday & Friday 9:00-11:00am or 9:30-11:30am
If you have any questions or are interested in learning more about the work Jumpstart does in our communities, please reach out to Brandy Guinn, Jumpstart Site Manager, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brandy Guinn (she/her/hers) | Site Manager, UCLA
Jumpstart | Alumna ’16–’19 | PASSSION inspires me.
UCLA Center for Community Learning
A265 Murphy Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90095