Take the Diagnostic Test
Registering an Account
- CLICK HERE to log in through Shibboleth and access the Math Diagnostic Test.
- If you created an account in the past that is now in an expired cohort, please email ugrad[at]math.ucla.edu to reset your account.
- Click on the option that requires you to pay for a class code.
- LIMITED fee waivers are available to eligible UCLA students who entered in 2020 and after and have demonstrated financial need. If your application fee for UCLA was waived, please contact ugrad[at]math.ucla.edu with the subject header “Request MDT Fee Waiver” with your name and student ID number to determine if the math diagnostic test fee can also be waived.
- If ALEKS asks for your institution, type “Univ of Calif Los Angeles” in the search bar.
- Complete your payment and registration.
Taking the Diagnostic Test
- Log into the ALEKS site with your MyUCLA logon ID and password.
- Before beginning the test, ALEKS will walk you through a tutorial on how to use the embedded tools to calculate and input your answers.
- Once you start the test, you will have 48 hours to answer 20-30 questions. If the test is not completed in this time, no score will be recorded and ALEKS will provide a new test.
Interpreting Your ScoreAfter completing the initial test, you will receive a report of your topic mastery and your score.
|80% +||Math 31A / Math 3A|
|60% – 80%||Math 31AL|
|30% +||Math 1|
Using the Learning ModuleYou are given the opportunity to review certain topics and improve your placement through targeted learning exercises in the Prep and Learning Module.
Retaking the Diagnostic Test (If Necessary)
- After engaging with the learning module for at least 5 hours, you can take the test again to reassess course placement.
- The retake test will become available 48 hours after the initial test was completed.
- The score from latest attempt is used for your placement.
- You will have access to the learning module for 12 months after taking the initial test.