Take the Diagnostic Test
Registering an Account
- CLICK HERE to log in through Shibboleth (Duo Logon) and access the Math Diagnostic Test.
- If you are not prompted to Duo Logon, try to open the link in an Incognito tab or clear your browser cookies.
- If you created an account in the past that is now in an expired cohort, we will have to contact ALEKS to reset your account. Please email ugrad[at]math.ucla.edu to with “Reset ALEKS MDT Account” in the subject header and your name and student ID number in the body. Note that resetting your account does not give you free access to the new cohort. If you already attempted the MDT in your previous cohort, you will have to pay for the new one.
- Click on the option that requires you to pay for a class code.
- LIMITED fee waivers are available to eligible UCLA students who entered between 2020 – 2022 and have demonstrated financial need. If your application fee for UCLA was waived, please contact ugrad[at]math.ucla.edu with “Request MDT Fee Waiver” in the subject header and your name and student ID number in the body. We will respond with a fee waiver code if you qualify.
- FALL 2023 ADMITS: Fee waivers for Fall 2023 admits will not be available until August. For now, please proceed with paying for the MDT. In August, you can email ugrad[at]math.ucla.edu for a fee waiver. Once we send you the fee waiver code, you will be able to contact ALEKS Support to get a refund.
- If ALEKS asks for your institution, type “Univ of Calif Los Angeles” in the search bar.
- Complete your payment and registration.
- Register for an account on ALEKS (www.aleks.com). CLICK HERE for detailed instructions on how to register.
- Email ugrad[at]math.ucla.edu for the 10-character class code.
- Once you receive the code, go to ALEKS to apply the code and your a payment. You will also need your UID.
- Non-UCLA Summer Session students: Please register for a UCLA University ID (UID) through Summer Sessions (See “How can I register and enroll in Summer Courses?”).
Taking the Diagnostic Test
- Log into the ALEKS site with your MyUCLA logon ID and password.
- Before beginning the test, ALEKS will walk you through a tutorial on how to use the embedded tools to calculate and input your answers.
- Once you start the test, you will have 48 hours to answer 20-30 questions. If the test is not completed in this time, no score will be recorded and ALEKS will provide a new test.
Interpreting Your Score
After completing the initial test, you will receive a report of your topic mastery and your score.
|80% +||Math 31A / Math 3A|
|60% – 80%||Math 31AL|
|30% +||Math 1|
Using the Learning Module
You are given the opportunity to review certain topics and improve your placement through targeted learning exercises in the Prep and Learning Module.
Retaking the Diagnostic Test (If Necessary)
- If you are not satisfied with your score, you can access a second or third attempt AFTER engaging with a learning module for at least 5 hours.
- The retake test will become available 48 hours after the initial test was completed.
- The score from latest attempt is used for your placement.
- You will have access to the learning module for 12 months after taking the initial test.
Enrolling into a Mathematics Class
If your enrollment pass is active, you can self-enroll into the appropriate math class 24 hours after receiving your score.