Take the Diagnostic Test
Non-UCLA (i.e., UCLA Extension, non-UCLA Summer students, etc.): sign up for the test through ALEKS (www.aleks.com) using the following 10-character class code to make a payment: M6KCH-3PUNQ. Detailed instructions for NON-UCLA students click here.
UCLA Students ONLY: When you are ready, CLICK HERE to log in through Shibboleth and access the Math Diagnostic Test. After completing your payment and registration, you can start the exam.
Note: LIMITED fee waivers are available to eligible UCLA students who have demonstrated financial need. If your application fee for UCLA was waived, please contact email@example.com with the subject header “Request MDT Fee Waiver” with your name and student ID number to determine if the math diagnostic test fee can also be waived.
Test Length: 30 Questions
Log in and Register
- Log into the ALEKS site with your MyUCLA logon ID and password.
- Before beginning the test, ALEKS will walk you through a tutorial on how to use the embedded tools to calculate and input your answers.
- You will have 48 hours to complete the test. If the test is not completed in this time, ALEKS will provide a new test. ALEKS will automatically save your progress, allowing you to leave and return to the test.
Interpret Your Score
- After completing the initial test, you will receive a report of your topic mastery and your score.
|80%+||Math 31A/Math 3A|
Use the Learning Module
- You are given the opportunity to review certain topics and improve your placement through targeted learning exercises in the Prep and Learning Module.
Retake the diagnostic test, if necessary
- After engaging with the learning module for at least 5 hours, you can take the test again to reassess course placement.
- The retake test will become available 48 hours after the initial test was completed.
- You will have access to the learning module for 12 months after taking the initial test.
Enroll into a Mathematics class
- If your enrollment pass is active, you can self-enroll into the appropriate math class 24 hours after receiving your score.